This was adapted from Angela Liddon. I absolutely love the flavour combination in this grilled salad!
Balsamic Vinagrette Dressing/Marinade
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the Salad
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 2 ripe pears, cored and chopped (peeling is optional)
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts toasted (375f for 7 mins or in a small pan, sautee over medium heat, stirring often until slightly browned)
Prepare the dressing/marinade by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl
Clean the mushrooms with a damp towl. Remove the stems by twisting. With a teaspoon or grapefruit spoon, scrape out the gills and discard.
In a large bowl add the mushroom caps, sliced red onions and 1/2 of the dressing/marinade and toss until fully coated. Marinade for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Toast walnuts and prepare/cut pear and avocado.
Heat grill over medium heat. Grill mushroom caps and onions for 5 mins on each side until vegetables are tender. Remove and let cool. Cut the mushroom cap into long strips.
On each of the two plates (or large bowls), add 1 1/2 cups of mixed greens. Add chopped pear, toasted walnuts, avocado, grilled onion and mushroom.
Drizzle remaining dressing